Most of the drinks promoted by companies and franchises are based on sugar such as shakes, smoothies, and juices. For diabetes, these drinks are like the worst enemy. Let alone drinks. They are forced to cut off their favorite foods and desserts.
They are not supposed to eat some of the most pleasure-giving foods. Living with diabetes will feel like hell when it comes to food. All the delicious and flavored foods will eventually raise their blood sugar levels.
To maintain their blood sugar levels they need to have a healthy diet and keep a healthy lifestyle, which forces them to cut off almost every soft drink and other delicious shakes and smoothies.
Does Kombucha Have A High Sugar Content?
In a diabetic person, the production of insulin is very low, the function of insulin is to turn carbohydrates into energy. In the absence of insulin, these carbohydrates turn to sugar, therefore consuming sugar for diabetics can cause to rise in their blood sugar levels.
Thus consuming soft drinks, shakes and smoothies could lead to a complication because these drinks contain high content of sugar and its bad for diabetics.
However, if diabetics like to sip drinks in their free time there is an alternative to these sugar-based drinks. The healthy drink even diabetics can drink is kombucha
What Is Kombucha?
Kombucha is a fizzy drink, it comes with a deliciously tangy syrup taste. The drink also possesses many health benefits. The drink is made from tea. It’s made by adding strains of bacteria or probiotics and yeast to black or green tea, then it undergoes fermentation for a week or so.
During the fermentation, the bacteria and yeast form a film on the surface of the liquid. This film is about a living symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast known as SCOBY. This film can be used to ferment a new kombucha by adding it to tea and allowing it to ferment.
This beverage is initially originated in china and supplied across Asia, in the late 20th century the tea fermented drink is gaining popularity in Europe and hit enormous sales for its health benefits.
Health Benefits Of Kombucha
Green tea is famous for its health benefits, just like green tea kombucha also provides many health advantages, especially for people suffering from several diseases.
When kombucha is made or brewed properly it benefits our bodies in several ways. Kombucha has many potential health benefits on studies based on animals such as:
- Kombucha contains probiotics, which help to clean our gut and digestive system. The smooth functioning of the digestive system eventually leads to weight loss
- Just like tea kombucha has many bioactive components, which acts are powerful antioxidants in the body
- It helps increase the number of calories burn, reduce belly fats maintain cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- The antioxidants kill toxic pathogens in the liver, as well as eliminate many harmful microorganisms
- The effect of lowering cholesterol eventually reduces the risk of heart diseases
- Probiotics also help in treating diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome. It could boost the immune system
- Kombucha is rich in fiber and promotes the feeling of fullness, which helps to reduce cravings.
- Fermented foods have been associated with regulating blood sugar levels and assisting the liver to absorb more glucose
How Kombucha Benefits People With Diabetes?
Kombucha could be a best friend while battling diabetes, research study shows that kombucha contains probiotics and antioxidants which are effective in cleaning our digestive system as well as eliminating toxic chemicals from our body.
And many antioxidants have been established to protect cells in the pancreas which in turn helps to regulate insulin levels.
When insulin level is maintained the blood sugar levels are balanced. kombucha is also rich in fiber, a nutrient that encourages the feeling of fullness and reduces cravings.
Many studies found that fermented food help to create compounds that could reduce blood sugar levels as well as aid the liver to absorb more glucose.
Controlled blood sugar levels keep a diabetic in a healthy condition. This reveals that kombucha benefits diabetics. Kombucha can also prevent from causing type 2 diabetes from prediabetes.
Diabetics should not drink the sweetened kombucha where sugar is added after being fermented, as would give a negative impact on the whole health. Always check on the label to find the correct product. It’s always safer to consume after consulting with a doctor.
Who Should Not Consume?
- Kombucha should not be consumed by pregnant or breastfeeding women
- It may not be beneficial for people with a weak immunity
- People who are allergic to tea also avoid consuming kombucha
- Serious complications can be developed if people with cancer, aids, or liver diseases drink kombucha
We have seen that kombucha is beneficial for our health in several ways. However, if the probiotic drink is consumed excessively, it can be high in calories and sugar, leading to excess caffeine consumption.
Excess drinking can cause weight gain, bloating, and digestive distress. Heavy amounts of sugar from excess drinking can lead to raising blood sugar levels in diabetes and include risks of heart diseases
So it’s always necessary to limit the intake of kombucha for our own health precautions.