Cottage cheese is white and mild but sour in taste. Rich milk in flavor, packaged with high nutrients, fresh and soft made from pasteurized skimmed milk in the shape of cubes. It’s commonly dined with fruits and vegetables and also eaten plainly. It has very less calorie value and high protein value hence, athletes and physical trainers find cottage cheese a healthy food in their diet
The Nutritional Profile Of Cottage Cheese
Below listed are the nutritional values of 100 grams of low-fat cottage cheese :
- Calories: 84
- Fat: 2.3g
- Sodium: 321mg
- Carbohydrates: 4.3g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 4.1g
- Protein: 11g
- Calcium: 111mg
- The cottage does not contain any added sugars; therefore, it contains very low calories. The number of low calories is present due to the presence of sugar in dairy products.
- It does not consist of any Fiber or starch
- The fat content varies with the product of cottage cheese you buy. You can get low-fat cottage cheese products, which provide less than 3 grams of fat
- It is highly rich in protein.
- Cottage cheese is packed with nutrients such as phosphorus, calcium, and vitamins. It’s also high in sodium and calcium which are extracted from dairy milk
How Is It Made?
- It’s a simple process based on milk.
- The milk is warmed by adding lime or acidic substance, this process is called curdling of milk
- The protein separates from the whey, liquid part of the milk when the acidity of the milk increases
- When the curd becomes solid, it is then cut into cubes of the same sizes. Then it’s cooked until the moisture content is discharged. And then washed to remove acidity and drained to release all the moisture from the cubes
- Finally, the crumbled pieces are added with salt, fresh cream, herbs, and spices to enhance the flavor.
- One can also use plain cottage cheese for different purposes.
Health Benefits Of Cottage Cheese
- Weight loss
Cottage cheese consists of rich nutrients such as high protein. A good amount of calcium and low-calorie value helps to lose weight. Cottage cheese is very commonly found in weight loss diets. Intake of cottage cheese increases the feeling of fullness similar to that of eggs, due to the high content of protein. This feeling of fullness can reduce the intake of calories and lose weight. Rich calcium also helps fasten up the metabolic process which results in weight loss.
- Helps to reduce insulin resistance
The presence of calcium in the dairy product helps reduce insulin resistance enormously, studies reveal that insulin resistance reduces by 21%
- Boosts bone health
The impact of consuming dairy products helps to improve bone and vascular health. The rich contents like magnesium, calcium, and potassium strengthen the bone health of a body
- Reduces risks of cancer
The high intake of calcium from cottage cheese helps reduce the risks of cancer, it also reduces the inflammatory effects
- Helps with body composition
The impact of high nutritious of cottage cheese such as protein, calcium, and low calories helps to build muscles, improve metabolism, and lose weight also
Is Cottage Cheese Good For Diabetics?
Cottage cheese can be an amazing snack for diabetic patients. Cottage cheese does not contain any sugar. It possesses only a low amount of sugar extracted from the diary, barely less than 3 mg of sugar consists in cottage cheese. Also, the amount of carbohydrates is relatively low in cottage cheese.
The carbohydrates and sugar which are commonly known for causing diabetics are fairly low in cottage cheese. Therefore, the risk of causing a diabetic is very low. And cottage cheese can be considered a healthy food for a diabetic patient.