Diabetic patients are increasing day by day and so technology is to meet their increasing needs. Technology is so advanced that diabetics can live happily without any concerns about their blood sugar levels.
What Are The Advantages Of Omnipod?
With the help of innovative technology, they can even travel to different countries no matter if it is having a hot or cold climate.
One such discovery for the sake of diabetics is omnipod. What is an omnipod? For what purpose it is used? How much insulin can it hold at a time? Let us go through all these queries in this article.
What Is An Omnipod?
Omnipod is a wearable, waterproof and tubeless insulin pump that pumps insulin to your body without daily multiple injections. It provides the non-stop delivery of insulin for 3 days (72 hours) instead of injecting insulin each time.
Omnipod provides personalized doses of insulin based on their requirements using the PDM(Personal Diabetes Manager) device. Using PMD you can control the amount and flow rate of insulin into your body.
Omnipod can be combined with CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) to produce an Automated Insulin Delivery system (AID). As the AID functions like a healthy pancreas, it is also called an artificial pancreas. It helps to improve diabetes management in both adults and children.
How Much Insulin Can Omnipod Hold?
Omnipod is a device that delivers insulin to patients for 3 days without frequent injections daily. An omnipod can hold up to 200 units of insulin and it requires a minimum of 85 units to start functioning. You can use it by simply filling it with the amount of insulin you required (below or up to 200 units) after wearing it.
Significant Features Of Omnipod
Omnipod has many significant features that prioritize it over other technologies. They are :
- Wearability: You can wear the omnipod on the area where you usually inject insulin. You can wear it for 3 days and thus you will get freedom from daily injections. You can wear it on your leg, upper arm, upper thigh, lower back, etc, but keep in mind that omnipod must be placed 5 centimeters away from your navel and those areas must be free from belts, waistbands, or tight clothes.
- Accessibility: It is easily accessible by people using a device Personal Diabetes Manager (PDM). The technology is so advanced that nowadays you can access them using your smartphones or smart watches instead of PDM.
- Waterproof: Omnipod is waterproof and diabetics can wear them in water at a depth of 25 feet for about 60 minutes. So there is no need of removing it while bathing or swimming.
- Tubeless: As the PDM directly communicates with the omnipod which contains the required insulin for 72 hours, there are no wires or tubes to interfere. So omnipod does not have tubes like normal insulin pumps and this feature makes it prominent, as the patients can move anywhere in the world wearing it.
- Pod therapy: Pod therapy allows the omnipod to continuously control the pump therapy wirelessly without any tubes or interruptions. Once the omnipod is placed and synced with your body, it can calculate the blood sugar level in your body and the amount of insulin required by your body. It frees up the patients from multiple daily injections.
- Customizable: Omnipods are customizable and people can adjust their glucose levels to meet their requirements. It helps the continuous delivery of insulin based on personal settings and gives you the amount you asked for, at the time when you ask for it. Omnipod can also hold any kind of insulin you have.
- Smart algorithm: The program set in the omnipod has a smart algorithm that can learn the user’s needs and knows when to make the adjustments. When the omnipod is combined with a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM), it can create Automated Insulin Delivery (AID) system and it can automatically make adjustments in the basic insulin rate depending on the current and increased blood sugar level.
Benefits Of Omnipod
- It lowers hyperglycemia. Study shows that stress can affect the blood sugar level and as omnipod provides automated care, it helps to improve diabetes level.
- It lowers the rate of hypoglycemia. It is the state where the sugar level in your blood lowers than the normal level and it is dangerous. Here omnipod controls the insulin based on the requirement.
- It is ideal for adults, adolescents, and even children (from 3 years) because there is no matter of frequently injecting insulin manually.
- As it does not contain any tubes or wires and insulin is stored for 3 days, it provides complete freedom for the diabetics.
- As it stores useful data and information, it helps in the proper management of health.
Here we conclude, how much does insulin hold omnipod. Omnipod is a tubeless device that works exactly like an insulin pump, without any effort. It contains a component PDM which automatically manages and delivers the insulin required for your body.
Moreover, it can be combined with CGM to create AID, which is the artificial pancreas and it can make adjustments in insulin based on the requirements. It helps to improve the control of diabetes and thus improves the quality of living.